October 27, 2010

A Little Life Lost


 "Mackentosh 3/20/98-10/25/10"
by Cristina Garcia

My family dog, Mackentosh, died Monday at the age of 12 from natural causes. It was a tragic and gloomy day when I came home to find my dog’s body in the backyard. Unfortunately, the image of finding Mackentosh’s body lifeless on the cement will never leave me. With tears pouring down my face and what felt like hurricane winds setting in, the mood was gloomy and filled with heartbreak. I had to contact my mom, my dad, and my two sisters to break the horrible news. It was just as hard of a task each time I made the call. We buried his body in the backyard by my last family dog to keep his memory close. On top of his little grave we placed a single rose and a piece of a plant that he loved chewing on. I did not realize how hard it was to be mentally and emotionally strong in times of disaster. 
Mackentosh was treated like a family member and loved by many people. He was a mixture of a Pit Bull, Labrador, and German Sheppard with brown fur, gentle eyes, a medium build, and adorable floppy ears. That dog knew how to melt anyone’s heart. His gentle attitude and carefree nature was contagious and attracted babies and adults alike. Mackentosh knew how to work a crowd. He made adorable faces when begging for food and followed us around the house so he would not be alone. He was always playful, never bit anyone, and very popular among all friends and family who knew him.
My sisters, Mackentosh, and I
My mom made a good point today when she reminded me that we should be proud that we saved his life by rescuing him from the Humane Society when he was a couple weeks old. He lived a genuinely happy life and brought us loads of joy. That is all we could have asked for. Nothing can truly describe how important Mackentosh was to my family. He was our guard dog, our little brother, and our best friend. I am coping by remembering that he is in a good place now in the dog playground of the sky looking down on us. The genuine love from a pet, such as a dog, is something so precious and pure. I will never forget how happy Mackentosh was every time we walked through the door. He brought so much good to my family while my sisters and I grew up. Our memory of our childhood dog will last a lifetime just as the lessons he taught us. 

2 comments:

  1. This was very well written Diana. You wrote your first sentence just as a lede. You presented the reader what the most important information was about and gave all the necessary details. Your flow of the blog was written in a way that it was clear to follow. After the lede, you wrote about the events that occurred, the steps you personally dealt with, the emotional part you dealt with and then finally how you're continuing to deal with it till this day. You had a very good structure throughout your entire blog that made it very easy for me to flow. Your sentence structure seemed to be very strong. Overall, this is a well written blog that allows for your emotional side to shine through without adding too much jargon.

    ReplyDelete