November 4, 2010

A Little Musical Thing

A few years ago, my uncle gave me his old Sigma acoustic guitar, but told me to give it back to him if I was not going to use it. I have always been curious about playing the guitar, but never had anyone to teach me so I decided to teach myself with my uncle’s gift because I was not about to give it up. After about a year of simple finger picking and learning chords, I got a new guitar, which became my pride and joy. My Epiphone Hummingbird is a basic acoustic with a mahogany body, spruce top, rosewood fretboard, and pickguard with beautiful artistry that makes it stand out from the crowd. Not only was it very affordable, but it also sounded rich and crisp while it allowed for easy playability. I fell in love.
            It was not long before I realized how therapeutic playing the guitar was. I found myself strumming away for hours with my Hummingbird in order to gather my thoughts and relax. I was doing exactly that when I figured out what to write for this blog today. My guitar has become a big part of me; however, I do not have dreams of becoming a rock star or playing in front of crowds. I use it as a form of release for stray emotions, bad thoughts, suppressed anger, artistic release, and much more. I could sit in my room for long periods of time strumming away in deep thought and end up with a symphony of emotions conveyed through the rhythm, tone, and volume as I play. To me, these times are magical.
It is amazing how much an instrument made up of wood and a few bits of hardware could change someone’s life. It changed mine and I hope to never lose touch with playing. No one truly understands the therapeutic elements of an instrument until they experience it for themselves. I encourage you to pick up an instrument or find a channel where you can release yourself and find your inner peace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment