November 10, 2010

Little Thing, Big Heart

Leslie, Derek, and I
A couple years ago, my best friend from high school, Leslie, had a baby. She had him when she was 18 years old and with him came all the criticism that goes with being a teenage mom. I promised Leslie that no matter what, I’d be there for her if she needed help and that I’d love her son as if he was my own family.  I consider both of them my family and know that they will be in my life forever.  Her baby has become the biggest joy of her life and has had a huge impact on my life as well.  
Leslie’s son, Derek, is 2 years old right now and quite the handful. Although in his “terrible twos” stage, I can’t help but give him unconditional love. That little boy melts my heart. The pure love and excitement that pours out of him on a daily basis is something only found in a child. There is not much to life in his mind, but he loves the people in it with all of his heart. Derek always has the best intentions, even if he has the wrong idea. For example, he likes to take care of his fish and put objects in its tank if necessary. He threw a carrot in the tank when the “fishy hungry,” he dunked his grandma’s cell phone in when the “fishy wanna talk,” and put post-its in the water when the “fishy wanna draw.” The other day, he even individually asked each person in the car if he or she was cold because he was playing with the automatic windows and had his down.
Derek and I
            Derek is such a big ball of never ending energy. A whole day of playing, wresting, running around, and having fun with that little boy tends to tire me out more than him. His little smile and laugh can light up a room and his big hugs and kisses are to die for. I always have his safety and better being in mind. I never knew how much of an effect a child could have on someone. He is not even my own son, but I have an indescribable amount of love for him that I imagine is similar to that of a mother and her child. Watching him grow, learn, and become his own person has been such a blessing. I’m grateful to be a part of his life and very excited for what the next few years have in store for him. Most of all, I can’t wait to see what kind of wonderful person he grows up to be.

1 comment:

  1. I really like your blog post, and I can’t seem to find many errors. I like how you explain everything very thoroughly, and in enough detail that I can understand what you are experiencing. I like how you include exactly how Derek talks when he’s doing something bad – it makes the post really cute. I have one suggestion for your sentence, “If anything bad were to happen to Derek, it would greatly affect me.” I would say instead of it would greatly affect me, say I would be devastated, or something more specific, because I feel the existing sentence is too broad. Also, I would change “better being” to well being. Otherwise, I have found nothing else to critique. Good job!

    ReplyDelete