October 20, 2010

To Save a Little Life (20 min.)

specimens at the Bug Fair

            I thrive off of spontaneous adventures. I had one this weekend with my 7-year-old cousin, Benny. This little boy is fascinated with bugs and was overwhelmed with excitement when I told him that I’d bring him to Cal Poly Pomona’s Bug Fair this past weekend. It was a cold, wet day, but nothing stopped us from getting to that fair.
            Benny and I arrived at the Bug Fair and quickly started making our rounds looking at all of the insects. The pure thrill and excitement in my little cousin’s face every time he encountered a new insect was unforgettable. After spending a lot of time asking questions, looking at specimens, and touching creatures, I promised Benny that I’d buy him one thing. He chose a $2.50 bug catcher with a magnifying glass on the lid to take a closer look. At that point, he reached a whole new level of excitement. Our adventure had only started.
Benny and the praying mantis
            After the Bug Fair, I showed Benny around school for a bit. We toured the gardens and ponds to look at the animals and catch an insect in the new bug catcher. We came across some roly pollies, which were pretty fun; a snail, which was kind of boring; and finally a praying mantis, which was really awesome. As Benny and I walked next to Building 2, we saw a little praying mantis drowning helplessly in a puddle. We could not let the little bug die so we scooped it out of the puddle and captured it in the bug catcher for a closer look. I have never seen Benny so proud of himself before. He saved a life and got to admire it for a couple minutes with his new toy before setting it safely free.
            I can’t help but remember catching bugs in my back yard or at school with my best friend when I was little. I found so much joy in it and can see the same pure emotions in my cousin. I’ll never forget how Benny kept telling me, “Dee, this is the best day ever!” Our bug adventure only lasted a few hours, but the memory of it will last much longer.
            

2 comments: