October 6, 2010

A Beautiful Little Thing with a Bad Reputation

Dandelion in my front yard

Remember the pure excitement you felt as a child when you stumbled across a dandelion? Remember making a wish before blowing a dandelion seed head in hopes that your wildest dreams would come true? Remember watching the seeds fly off into the wind? More importantly, remember the blissful innocence of childhood as you played with those "little things?"
All of these thoughts rushed through my mind as I spotted a single dandelion on my front lawn. I was on my way out to walk my dog with a camera on hand in case I discovered a “little thing” to blog about. My nostalgic moment upon discovery of the dandelion was quickly interrupted by reality. The tiny dandelion, which symbolized childhood dreams to me, was also a socially hated symbol. The dandelion has been known to be lawn owners’ worst enemy. I found out this truth many years ago when my dad had to stop me from blowing all the dandelions in our yard. He explained that they were a weed’s seed pod and that blowing on them would only spread the weeds.
It was plain and simple – my dreams were crushed. I remember wondering how something so little, beautiful, and precious to so many children could be such a bad thing. I refused to give up viewing dandelions in an optimistic light. My conscience met halfway with those darn dandelions and I decided not to blow on them anymore for the sake of everyone’s lawns, sidewalks, and streets.  At the same time, I promised to always admire them for their simple, soft beauty.
"beautiful little things with bad reputations"
After taking that little trip down memory lane, I decided that dandelions are merely beautiful "little things" with bad reputations. They are notorious for spreading weeds and popping up everywhere, but this alone dubs them as persistent survivors. As evil as they may seem to humans, dandelions are only doing their job in this world that we share with them. I apologize for the profanity, but dandelions basically kick ass in the plant world. Their strengths are overlooked, but I believe the world should always remember to admire the simple, magical beauty of these "little things." 

2 comments:

  1. Overall, I liked your post. I feel like it is relateable to your audience (our class). If I was to make any changes to your blog post I would eliminate some of the questions in the beginning paragraph. I feel like there are too many, so maybe cut it down to 2 questioning sentences. I would also change, "After taking that little trip down memory lane." I feel like that is a bit cliche, and you could come up with another creative way to say that. I would also change the way you refer to the dandelions as "things" in the last paragraph to "plants or organisms." Overall, good blog post, and my dad used to yell at me for the same thing too. :)

    ReplyDelete