October 13, 2010

Powerful Little Things

You got designer shades, just to hide your face and you wear them around like you're cooler than me… 
 -"Cooler Than Me" by Mike Posner

Most high school and college students are familiar with the song “Cooler Than Me,” a 2010 hip-hop summer anthem by Mike Posner that references the magic of sunglasses. These words were playing on the radio when my next blog entry idea hit me – sunglasses. I asked myself,  “why do I wear sunglasses?”
Simply put, sunglasses are little things that have enormous power. A pair of shades has the power to bring a shy kid out of his box. It can give the world the impression that the tired, hung over college student is only trying to be “stylish” because he wears his sunglasses indoors. They can be a physical barrier to harmful sunrays or a mere fashion statement. Sunglasses shield one of the most important parts of the human body – one’s eyes. Our eyes allow us to deliver and receive the thousands of messages that every aspect of the world constantly puts out. Although they might not completely shield the world from seeing our eyes, sunglasses cover up enough to change the way the world perceives us.
In my opinion and in my daily life, sunglasses are very beneficial. I admit that I occasionally wear them to hide tired eyes or sad emotions. However, the majority of the time I use them for sun protection and style. A close friend got me into the habit of always wearing sunglasses when the sun is out so my eyes got use to their protection from harmful rays. According to the Vision Essentials website by Kaiser Permanente Optical, “UV rays contribute to many eye health and vision problems, including cataracts and retinal damage.” (Vision Essentials) The use of a pair of shades, stylish or not, can help significantly reduce risks of UV ray damage.
The health benefits of wearing sunglasses are obvious, but I can’t help considering their persona changing power. Such a small accessory has the power to essentially make the world see someone as another person. They can make a person look like they have a sense of fashion, a dash of sex appeal, a hint of mystery, and much more. In a sense, sunglasses are tools of simple manipulation.
Many people do not consider all of these elements of the shades they throw in their glove compartment or place on the top of their head. It is amazing how such a powerful little thing could be so overlooked in society. With all this in mind, I challenge you to ask yourself exactly why you might wear your favorite pair of sunglasses. I did, and I obviously did not find a simple answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment